Monday, October 8, 2012

Fabric Styling

CIAO !
I realized I haven't really updated on school. So wrapped up in the beauty of this place I forgot to show what I have been up to in classes. On Mondays I have Fabric Styling. This class is pretty interesting. We have done some cool things. For example we learned how to make our own block prints. A block print is a print that repeats itself in a 4 block pattern. This block print was created using inspiration from different themes. My theme was Acqua...I used the corralo color theme. So I had to draw something from this inspiration...the coral color made me think of coral reef of course, and then I began to think of starfish and and seaweed. We created mood boards to show our inspiration and then drew up some sketches. After our sketches we colored them in....then made our own stencils. The stencils were then used to create my pattern onto fabric. So I have my own block print on a piece of fabric now pretty cool.
Sketch 

Painted Pattern on Striped Denim 

My color palette 


Trying different colors 


My stencil 

Painted pattern on Linen fabric 

Acqua water palette summer/spring  "corrallo"

Different colors
Today in class we worked on painting on silk. I really liked the outcome of this. We took pieces of silk and painted on the fabric free hand. Using two different colors gives a cool pattern effect because the colors start to bleed into each other eventually. Then I did the salt on silk technique, which is where you strategically spread Epson salt onto your piece of fabric. The salt absorbs the color of the paint and creates little patterns itself. Here are some pictures....I would love to work with this technique it was alot of fun, most likely whatever you do the outcome is nice. 

In class painting 

"Ray-casso " hard at work

Salt on silk technique
                                 

Result of salt 


Another salt result


My teacher said this reminds her of Nemo !

How great does this apron compliment my skinnies and sneaker wedges ? haha


CIAO CIAO !



1 comment:

  1. I love how you are experiencing the whole culture ...even down to ART. When i went to China, the most culturally influencing experiences were when we did chinese art class on rice paper etc. ..so i am truly glad that this is part of ur experience

    ReplyDelete